The 2018 SKYWARN® Recognition Day event is from Friday evening, November 30th 18:00 (6PM) CST until Saturday December 1st 18:00 (6PM) CST. Or in UTC time December 1, 2018, from 00:00 to 24:00 UTC. starting in 7 Days, 6 Hours, 1 Minutes, 59 Seconds
SKYWARN™ Recognition Day was developed in 1999 by the National Weather Service (NWS) and the American Radio Relay League (ARRL). It celebrates the contributions that volunteer SKYWARN™ radio operators make to the National Weather Service. During the day SKYWARN™ operators visit NWS offices and contact other radio operators across the world.
National information regarding SKYWARN Recognition Day is published at www.weather.gov/crh/skywarnrecognition and the ARRL. David McAnally (WD5M), with the WX5FWD Radio Desk Team, is the local SKYWARN Recognition day coordinator for the Fort Worth NWS WFO.
North Texas spotters are encouraged to participate in SKYWARN™ Recognition Day, and log radio contacts with NWS offices and SKYWARN™ spotter groups. We hope to share memories and recognize all spotters who provide vital information to forecasters for warnings.
SKYWARN volunteers may visit the Fort Worth Weather Forecast Office on Saturday December 1st. Visitors must RSVP before Friday, November 30th via wx5fwd.org/RSVP, or send email to SRD@wx5fwd.org. We will accommodate three groups of visitors on an hourly schedule, 15 to 20 people at a time. The two groups from 11:30 AM to 1:30 PM will be provided a light lunch. Parking and building resources are limited. Please RSVP including your name, email address, the hour you expect to visit starting at 11:30 AM, call sign (not required), and county. More details will be provided to visitors via email.
The SKYWARN™ radio desk team will operate radio stations at the Fort Worth office on HF, VHF and UHF frequency bands, with the modes FM, SSB, CW, PSK-31, IRLP, EchoLink, D-STAR and DMR
Some key points:
- Radio operation will be restricted to WX5FWD radio desk team members only
- The Fort Worth NWS special event call sign will be W5T
- Active frequency, Mode and other information will be published periodically on twitter.com/wx5fwd, facebook.com/wx5fwd and wx5fwd.org during the event.
- We will monitor and make contacts on the North Central Texas Connection (nctc.info) linked repeater system and wide area coverage repeaters such as the WD5U Rosston repeater on 145.490. We will periodically make contacts on other local or linked SKYWARN repeaters listed in our SKYWARN repeater directory map. (wx5fwd.org/cwamap)
- IRLP Node 0010 special SKYWARN IRLP reflector
- EchoLink Conference *WX5FWD* (372418) Special SKYWARN EchoLink conference
- Digital Modes:
- D-Star REF033C
- DMR: BM 31481 – North Texas and MARC – Either DFW metro or Texas statewide
- Fusion: FCS00243 – Texas
David McAnally, WD5M
Fort Worth NWS SKYWARN Recognition Day Coordinator